Welcome to Cook This Tonight! Every week we’ll bring you an original Plated recipe fresh off our menus to help lessen the effort of last-minute weeknight dinner planning, so you can make time for what’s worth it.
When the mid-week blues hit and we’re lacking in the cooking inspiration department, we often throw the contents of our fridge into a bowl and call it dinner. This Plated Popular recipe is a little more thoughtful than that, while still remaining minimal in the effort and ingredient department.
Turkey Larb Bowls
1 cup jasmine rice
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ ounce mint
¼ cup roasted salted peanuts
1½ pounds ground turkey
4 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
2 teaspoons Sriracha
½ cup shredded red cabbage
½ cup shredded green cabbage
1. In a small pot, combine rice, 1½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once, reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer until water is fully absorbed, 10–12 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand, still covered, until Step 6.
2. While rice cooks, halve 2 limes; cut remaining lime into wedges for serving. Peel shallots and thinly slice into rings, then place in a small bowl. Add brown sugar, juice of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt; stir to combine. Set aside to pickle until Step 5.
3. Rinse remaining produce. Roughly chop or tear mint leaves, discarding stems. Trim and discard scallion roots and thinly slice crosswise on a diagonal, keeping whites and light greens separate from dark greens. Roughly chop peanuts, or leave in bag and gently crush with the bottom of a heavy pan.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add scallion whites and light greens; sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Cook, breaking up, until meat is browned, about 5 minutes.
5. While turkey cooks, use a slotted spoon to transfer pickled shallots to a separate small bowl, reserving shallot pickling liquid. To pan with turkey, still over medium-high heat, add soy sauce and shallot pickling liquid. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 2–3 minutes more. Remove pan from heat. Stir in Sriracha (skip or use half for milder flavor), slaw mix, and half of mint to combine.
6. Fluff rice with a fork, then divide among roomy serving bowls. Top with turkey larb, pickled shallots, peanuts, scallion dark greens, and remaining mint. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over, and dig in!
Did you know Plated also offers dessert? Try it today!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!