Oatmeal is one of our all-time favorite cold weather breakfasts. You can make it countless different ways and it’s filling enough to keep you satisfied until it’s time for lunch. We’ve stumbled across a number of different carrot cake oatmeal recipes while browsing the interwebs
at – er, after – work, and decided it was time to test out our own version.
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon full-fat coconut milk cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup regular oats
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- pure maple syrup
Whisk together carrot, almond milk, coconut cream, spices and salt in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in oats, and turn down heat to medium-low. Let cook until the oats have fully absorbed the liquid, about 8 minutes. Add vanilla, then remove from heat and let sit 1 minute. Divide into two bowls and top with walnuts, raisins and top with maple syrup to taste.
Pro tip: If you don’t have time to make a special trip to the store for coconut cream, simply use a little extra almond milk!
– Alivia Duran