The Breakfast Sandwich That Will Make You a Morning Person
Details make a difference. We share a customizable breakfast sandwich equation that’s good enough to convince you wake up early enough to make it.
The humble and egalitarian breakfast sandwich is an ubiquitous food in cities across North America. With its wide range of price points and varying levels of quality, people from all walks of life enjoy this staple in some form or another. Sold in places ranging from corner delis and street-side carts to chic eateries and outdoor markets, this handheld AM wonder is firmly embedded in our cultural lexicon. Its savory and satisfying allure is undeniable.
The anatomy of this morning favorite is simple enough. Take foods associated with breakfast—think egg and bacon—and sandwich them between some bread. It seems straightforward enough, but of course, the details make the difference. Desirable qualities? Crispy bread, melty cheese, and balanced flavors. That said, below is a basic equation to help you fix your own glorious breakfast sandwich so you can start the day as the hero of your own story.
BREAD + CHEESE + EGG + GREENS = BREAKFAST SANDWICH GLORY
¼ cup baby arugula
1 tablespoon water
1 ciabatta roll, English muffin, or bread of your choice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 slice sharp Cheddar or cheese of your choice
1 teaspoon olive oil
Optional: sliced sausage, bacon, sliced avocado, or hot sauce
Medium nonstick pan with lid
1. Prepare Ingredients: Rinse arugula. Halve lemon. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and water until fully combined. Season with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and pepper as desired. Halve ciabatta lengthwise.
2. Season Arugula: In a small bowl, toss arugula with juice of ½ lemon and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set aside. Use remaining lemon to brighten a glass of water.
3. Toast Ciabatta: Spread half of butter onto cut sides of ciabatta, dividing evenly. Place cut-side down in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat and toast until lightly golden on bottom, 2–3 minutes. Flip, add cheddar to 1 ciabatta half, and cover pan. Cook until cheese is melted, 1–2 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Cook Eggs: Wipe pan from ciabatta clean and add remaining butter over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add egg mixture and cook, stirring, until curds are just set but still soft, 2–3 minutes.
5. Assemble Sandwich: Spoon scrambled egg onto ciabatta bottom. Top with arugula and any optional ingredients such as bacon, sausage, or avocado. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired. Finish with ciabatta top and start your day in style.