When Santa’s workshop takes a snack break, this is what the elves eat.
This 30-minute gingerbread granola recipe—sweetened with molasses and tossed with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves—comes via The Preppy Post Grad. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and serves 10.
3 1/4 cups rolled oats (GF for gluten free eaters)
1 3/4 cups raw nuts (I used almonds, pecans and a few walnuts)
3 Tbsp organic cane sugar (or substitute extra molasses or maple syrup mixed in with wet ingredients)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
pinch ground cloves (optional)
1/4 cup coconut or olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup (can substitute agave or honey if syrup isn’t vegan)
2 Tbsp molasses
(optional) 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 18–22 minutes, stirring near the halfway point to ensure even cooking. The coconut oil will help this granola crisp up nicely, but be sure to watch it carefully, as it browns quickly.
5. Once the granola is visibly browned (about 19 minutes for me), remove from the oven and let cool completely on the pan before storing.
6. Keep in a container that has an air-tight seal and it should keep for a few weeks.