Homemade bread? Crazy, right? Bread may seem like a super intimidating recipe to add to your repertoire, but it doesn’t have to be! Plated’s in-house bread expert, Chef Giuseppe, shares a fun take on one of our favorites carbs (we can’t forget about pasta) with these sweet brioche rolls. Pop them in the oven and serve them warm with homemade jam (Chef Giuseppe has a recipe for that, too!).
Chef Giuseppe’s Sweet Brioche Rolls
(Makes 20 rolls)
For the bread:
300g all-purpose flour
200g bread flour
15g instant dried yeast
3 large eggs
180g butter (cubed)
80g whole milk
1 tablespoon honey
18g rum (optional)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
zest of 2 oranges
zest of 1 Lemon
For the egg wash:
20g whole milk
1 large bowl
2 baking sheets
stand mixer (not necessary but recommended)
1. In advance of making the brioche measure the refrigerated ingredients and allow to come to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, add orange and lemon zest, rum (if using), vanilla, and honey, and whisk to combine. Cover and set aside.
3. To the bowl of a stand mixer, add all-purpose and bread flours, yeast, milk, and sugar. On low speed, mix the ingredients until they start to come together.
4. Add 1 egg at a time allowing the mixture to absorb the egg before adding the next.
5. Once all of the eggs are added, add the mixture from step 2. Still on low speed, let the mixer work for about 5-8 minutes until the dough starts to come together.
6. Continue mixing slowly adding pieces of butter until absorbed into the dough.
7. Once the butter is absorbed, add the salt and mix another 3-5 minutes. The dough will be extremely soft and stick to the wall of the bowl and be slightly shaggy.
8. Continue mixing until the dough becomes elastic, shiny, and smooth.
9. Place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours.
10. Once risen, on a clean dry surface, quickly knead the dough for about a minute to tighten up the gluten, then place back in the bowl covered with plastic and transfer to the fridge. Allow to rise until tripled in size, about 8 hours.
11. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the dough from the fridge and allow to rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
12. Form the dough into 20 equal sized balls placing on the parchment lined baking sheets.
13. Whisk together the reserved milk and egg yolks for the egg wash. Brush the tops of each roll with egg wash. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
14. Resist the temptation to dig in, and allow rolls to rest for at least 5 minutes.
Recipe contributed by Plated Recipe Developer Giuseppe Iacopelli.
Love experimenting in the kitchen? Try Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!