Head Chef Elana Karp is sharing three of her favorite root to stem recipes, which feature carrots, beets, and fennel. Whether it’s through our packaging, portioned ingredients, or the recipes themselves, at Plated we’re always trying to find ways to cut down waste. These dishes are a great example of that effort, as they use the entire core ingredient in an unexpected, delicious way. Try them at home and tell us what you think!
1. Carrot Top Pesto
1 bunch of carrots with leaves
1 cup arugula
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon pine nuts
1/2 cup pecorino cheese
– On a baking sheet, toss carrots and garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until carrots are tender and garlic is golden, 10-12 minutes.
– In a blender combine roasted garlic, carrot leaves, arugula, pine nuts, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Pulse to blend. Continue to blend while slowly pouring in 2 tablespoons olive oil until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add grated pecorino, and stir to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
2. Shaved Fennel Salad with Fennel Frond Vinaigrette
1 bulb fennel with fronds
2 cups spring lettuces
1 small shallot
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
– Rinse all produce. Separate fennel bulb and fronds. Halve fennel bulb and cut out core. Slice as thinly as possible [or use a mandolin]. Finely chop fennel fronds. Peel shallot and mince. Cut top and bottom off grapefruit to create flat sides. Stand up on one flat side and carefully cut around to remove skin and pith, discarding. Over a medium bowl, slice between membranes to release segments. Allow flesh to fall into bowl along with any juice.
– In a large bowl [big enough for the salad] whisk together champagne vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, shallot, and fennel fronds. Season salt and black pepper as desired. Whisk quickly while slowly pouring in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
– Add lettuces, fennel bulb, and grapefruit to bowl with dressing. Toss to combine.
1 bunch red baby beets
1 bunch yellow baby beets
1 container greek yogurt
1 teaspoon sumac
¼ cup crumbled feta
– Preheat oven to 450 F. Rinse beets and beet greens. Trim leaves and discard stems. Peel beets and quarter.
– While beets roast, in a small bowl, combine juice of .5 lemon, .75 of yogurt, and crumbled feta. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Set aside. Discard remaining yogurt.
– While the beets roast heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering add beet greens and season with .5 teaspoons salt and black pepper. Cook until wilted about 4–5 minutes.
– Serve roasted beets over a bed of sautéed greens with yogurt sauce on top.