This Mediterranean-inspired Meatless Monday recipe is filling and satisfying – packed with fresh veggies and protein rich chickpeas. Feta and olives and extra flavor, and a pinch of red pepper flakes adds just the right amount of heat.
Mediterranean Pasta Recipe with Chickpeas, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Feta & Olives
From Jennifer Clair, Home Cooking NY
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick half moons
- 1 pint red or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained but not rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ pound shaped pasta (orecchiette is good)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Prepare the Pasta
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
Prepare the Sauce
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and add the zucchini. Cook until they are soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
Finish the Sauce
To the same pan, add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and oregano and cook until the tomatoes break down and are saucy, about 5 minutes.
Assemble the Dish
Drain the pasta and add to the frying pan with the tomatoes and chickpeas. Add the reserved zucchini, olives, and feta and toss to combine and warm through, adding more extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.