National Cereal Day—yes, it’s a thing. While you could opt for a breakfast-for-dinner cereal bar tonight, we have another tasty idea. Enter Hazelnut Marshmallow Squares. The rice cereal treats of your childhood bake sale days get a cheffy upgrade with brown butter and toasted hazelnuts.
Hazelnut Marshmallow Square
¼ cup hazelnuts
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups mini marshmallows
4 cups puffed rice
1. Roughly chop hazelnuts, or leave in bag and gently crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Rub 1 teaspoon canola oil inside aluminum tin.
2. Heat butter and hazelnuts in a large pot over medium heat. Swirl pot occasionally until butter turns golden and fragrant and hazelnuts are toasted, 7–9 minutes. Brown butter is easy to make, but does require paying attention so it doesn’t burn. Swirl the pot around or stir often. Remove pot from heat and stir in ⅛ teaspoon salt.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of toasted hazelnuts to a small bowl and reserve for Step 5; leave remainder in pot with brown butter. Add marshmallows to pot, still off heat, and stir until melted and smooth. The residual heat from the brown butter should be enough to melt the marshmallows. If it’s too cool, return pot to low heat and stir just until the marshmallows are melted, then remove from heat.
4. To pot with melted marshmallows and hazelnuts, add puffed rice and ¼ teaspoon salt. Working quickly, stir well until puffed rice is fully coated. The puffed rice and marshmallow mixture will be very sticky. Work quickly so the cereal is evenly coated before it begins to cool and harden (a rubber spatula is a great tool for this).
5. Working quickly, transfer hazelnut-marshmallow mixture to prepared tin and press into an even layer, being sure to fill edges and corners of tin. Sprinkle over reserved toasted hazelnuts, pressing lightly to adhere. Set aside at room temperature or refrigerate until set and completely cool, about 20 minutes. Use the downtime to relax or get ahead on dishes.
6. Once cool, cut hazelnut-marshmallow mixture into 2-inch squares (or any desired shape).
Love experimenting in the kitchen? Try Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!