The perfect gift for any Dad? If you didn’t have time to shop, you can always cook a homemade dinner! Extra bonus points when it’s cooked on the grill—and when you can enlist the kids as your favorite sous-chefs.
When it comes to summer dinners, less is more. Here are some easy dishes the family can whip up together for the perfect backyard BBQ to celebrate: smoky burgers with grilled corn and ice cream sandwiches for dessert. What more could you need?
Hooray for summer grilling!…er, fathers everywhere!
Grilled Corn with Basil Butter
Ears of corn
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ bunch basil
2. Once butter has softened, place in a medium bowl and stir together with basil, using a spatula or fork to combine well. Place on a large piece of plastic wrap. Season with .125 teaspoon kosher salt and roll into a log, about 1-inch thick. Twist ends of plastic wrap to seal tightly. Place in freezer to chill for at least 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle each ear of corn lightly with olive oil and season with black pepper. Wrap each ear in foil and add to grill. Grill, turning occasionally, until corn is lightly charred, about 15 minutes total. Unwrap corn and immediately slather over as much basil butter as desired and serve on the cob.
1 red onion
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons hickory barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 brioche buns
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Peel onion, thinly slice into rings, and place in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and pepper as desired. Toss to combine. Add to grill in a single layer and grill until lightly charred and softened, 3-4 minutes per side.
2. While onion grills, pat beef dry with paper towel and place in a large bowl. Add barbecue sauce and Dijon mustard. Season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper as desired. Using your hands, mix well. Divide mixture evenly and form into 3 patties, about 1-inch thick. Using your thumb, create a dimple on top of each.
3. Brush grill with ½ tablespoon olive oil. Add burgers and grill until charred on outside and medium rare, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set aside to rest for about 5 minutes.
4. Halve buns crosswise. Wipe grill from burgers clean and add buns cut-side down. Toast until lightly golden, 2-3 minutes. Top bun bottoms with burgers and grilled onion and enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more, softened, for greasing
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
¾ cup chocolate chips
1 pint your favorite ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with softened butter.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave or small pot. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate medium bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together melted butter and both sugars. Beat the vanilla and egg into the butter-sugar mixture until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour mixture just to combine, taking care not to over-mix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Scoop out balls of cookie dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until light golden around the edges, 10-12 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature. When spreadable, spoon about ⅓ cup ice cream onto the flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich with another cookie. Smooth around edges of sandwich using a knife (or your fingers). Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to eat. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
Happy Father’s Day!