Please exercise caution when making this recipe. Our Culinary Director Elana didn’t name this deliciously addictive recipe “Crack Fries” without good reason! Smashed purple fingerling potatoes are fried to crispy perfection, sprinkled with kosher salt, then served with a spicy miso dipping sauce. Even after consuming a full day’s worth of test kitchen recipes there was still a mild brawl in the office to get the last bite of this savory snack.
Crack Fries Recipe with Sriracha-Miso Mayo
- 12 ounces purple fingerling potatoes (Any small, creamy potato will work.)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- ½-1 tablespoon sriracha (Depending on how spicy you want it.)
- ½cup mayonnaise
- ½ bunch scallions
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Kosher salt
1. Rinse potatoes and place in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Add a pinch salt and boil until potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and place on a flat surface between paper towels. Pat very dry.
2. In a medium bowl mix together miso paste, sriracha, and mayonnaise. Rinse scallions, trim and discard roots and dark greens, and thinly slice white and light green parts.
3. Place a medium pot with vegetable oil over medium heat. There should be about 3 inches of oil. Bring the oil to 375º F. While the oil heats up, gently smash the potatoes so that they flatten a bit, but still remain intact.
4. When the oil is hot enough, fry the potatoes in batches until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and immediately season with salt and half the scallions.
5. Garnish potatoes with remaining scallions and serve with sriracha-miso mayo alongside for dipping.