Welcome to Cook This Tonight! Every week we’ll bring you an original Plated recipe fresh off our menus to help lessen the effort of last-minute weeknight dinner planning, so you can make time for what’s worth it.
Tonight, we’re digging into this hearty, veggie-forward salad starring radicchio, kale, white beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and creamy thyme-infused goat cheese. Toss the goods with a citrusy honey-chive dressing and get dinner on the table in just 35 minutes.
White Bean and Radicchio Salad
3 sweet potatoes
2 15-ounce cans white beans
¼ ounce chives
¼ ounce thyme
2 heads radicchios
¾ pint multicolor cherry tomato
3 tablespoons roasted salted almonds
8 ounces curly kale
½ ounce honey
4 ounces goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Rinse all produce. Halve sweet potatoes lengthwise, then cut crosswise into ½- inch half-moons. Drain and rinse white beans and pat dry with paper towel. Strip thyme leaves, discarding stems. Here’s a cheffy trick for picking thyme leaves all at once: Pinch the stem near the top with 1 hand, then slide the fingers of your other hand down the length of the stem, from top to bottom. The leaves will come off easily
2. On a baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes and white beans with half of thyme, ¼ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Transfer half to a separate baking sheet, arrange in a single layer, and roast, mixing and rotating sheets halfway through, until sweet potatoes and white beans are tender and slightly charred, 16–18 minutes total.
3. While sweet potatoes and white beans roast, quarter radicchio lengthwise and rinse thoroughly, then thinly slice leaves crosswise, discarding tough stems. Halve tomatoes. Thinly slice chives. Roughly chop almonds, or leave in bag and gently crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Halve lemons.
4. Tear kale leaves into bite-size pieces, discarding long stems. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt over kale leaves and, using your hands, massage until beginning to soften and darken, 1–2 minutes. Raw kale can be tough, so it requires a bit of TLC. Massaging the leaves helps soften them up.
5. In a large bowl (big enough for the salad), whisk together honey, chives, juice of 2 lemons, ⅓ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Add roasted sweet potatoes and white beans, radicchio, tomatoes, and kale to bowl with dressing and toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk together goat cheese, remaining thyme, and 2 tablespoons warm water until smooth and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
6. Divide white bean and radicchio salad among shallow serving bowls. Top with almonds. Dollop over thyme goat cheese. Enjoy!
Looking for the 2-serving version of this recipe? We’ve got you covered at plated.com.
Love experimenting in the kitchen? Try Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!