Welcome to Cook This Tonight! Every week we’ll bring you an original Plated recipe fresh off our menus to help lessen the effort of last-minute weeknight dinner planning, so you can make time for what’s worth it.
We love the contrasting flavors and textures in a Greek gyro—tender meat, cool, tangy sauce, and crunchy veggies so tonight, we’re going for a homemade version. Instead of traditional pita bread, we spoon the goods over toasted naan.
4 naan breads
4 boneless skin-on chicken breasts
2 romaine hearts
2 red onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Mediterranean spice mix 4 ounces sour cream
1. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Carefully hover your hand a few inches away from the pan—when you can easily feel heat, add naan. Toast, working in batches as needed, until lightly charred and warmed through, about 2 minutes per side. Wrap in foil to keep warm, reserving pan for the next step.
2. While naan toasts, pat chicken very dry with paper towel (see recipe tip); season all over with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Return pan from naan to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add chicken skin-side down and sear until skin is golden and easily lifts from pan, 5–7 minutes. Flip and sear until no longer pink, 5–7 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate; set aside to rest, 5 minutes. Reserve pan, off heat.
3. While chicken cooks, halve romaine hearts lengthwise and rinse thoroughly, then pat dry with paper towel and thinly slice leaves crosswise, discarding tough stems. Rinse remaining produce (see recipe tip). Cut tomatoes into ¼-inch dice. Halve lemons. Peel onions, quarter, and thinly slice. Mince garlic (see recipe tip).
4. Cut rested chicken into ¼-inch slices. Return pan from chicken to medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add Mediterranean spice mix, half of onion, and half of garlic. Sauté, stirring, until aromatics are softened, 4–5 minutes. Add sliced chicken and ¾ cup water and cook, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, until water has reduced by two-thirds, about 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat.
5. While aromatics cook, in a medium bowl, whisk together juice of 1½ lemons, 3 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Add romaine, tomatoes, and remaining onion and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, remaining garlic, and juice of remaining lemon. Taste sauce and add salt and pepper as desired.
6. Transfer naan to serving plates. Top with salad, dividing evenly, then chicken, spooning over any remaining pan sauce. Dollop over creamy garlic sauce.
Looking for the 2-serving version of this recipe? We’ve got you covered at plated.com.
Did you know Plated also offers dessert? Try it today!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!