We’re excited to introduce you to our newest recipe series: Cook this Tonight! Every week we’ll bring you an original Plated recipe fresh off our menus to help lessen the effort of last-minute weeknight dinner planning, so you can make time for what’s worth it.
The speediest way to taco salad success is to turn the whole concept inside out. Instead of chopping away at a head of lettuce (who has time for that!), Boston lettuce leaves act as a shell in our Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps. We top spiced beef with crema, black bean-tomato salsa, and crispy tortilla strips, but this recipe is easily customizable to fit everyone’s taste preferences. And, it’s ready in just 30 minutes.
Beef Taco Lettuce Wraps
1 can black beans
4 corn tortillas
¾ pint grape tomatoes
1½ pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
4 ounces sour cream
2 heads Boston lettuce
Cooking with a helper tonight? They can make the crema in Step 4, stir together the black bean–tomato salsa and separate lettuce leaves in Step 5, and assemble the wraps in Step 6.
1. Rinse all produce. Drain and rinse black beans. Stack tortillas and cut into thin strips. If you have a zester and want to infuse your crema with even more flavor, zest up to whole lime, then halve limes. Halve grape tomatoes. Trim and discard scallion roots and thinly slice, keeping whites and light greens separate from dark greens.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add tortilla strips in a single layer and fry, stirring frequently and working in batches as needed, until golden and crisp, 2–3 minutes. Stand back to fry the tortilla strips in case hot oil splatters. Note that later batches may cook faster since the oil is already hot. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain; discard oil, reserving pan. Pouring the hot oil down the drain might damage your pipes—instead, pour it into a heatproof container once it’s cooled slightly, and dispose in the garbage. Season tortilla strips with juice of ½ lime and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside for serving.
3. Pat beef dry with a paper towel. Wipe pan from tortilla strips clean and return to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add spice mix, scallion whites and light greens, beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Cook, breaking up, until browned, 6–8 minutes.
4. While beef cooks, in a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, lime zest (if using), ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired. Set crema aside until ready to serve.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together juice of 1 lime, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired (cut remaining lime into wedges for serving, if desired). Add black beans, tomatoes, and scallion dark greens and toss to combine. Pat lettuce dry with paper towel and separate large leaves for wraps (you’ll need at least 3 per person, but if you have extra, double up your wraps).
6. Divide lettuce wraps among serving plates; fill with beef, then black bean– tomato salsa. Dollop over crema and garnish with crispy tortilla strips.
Did you know Plated also offers dessert? Try it today!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!