We’re excited to introduce you to our newest recipe series: Cook this Tonight! Every week we’ll bring you an original Plated recipe fresh off our menus to help lessen the effort of last-minute weeknight dinner planning, so you can make time for what’s worth it.
Spring! It’s finally here. We’re ready to shed our winter coats and layers, and lean into the warmer weather, especially in the kitchen. This week, embrace the flavors and colors of the season ahead with our Spring Vegetable Fried Rice.
Spring Vegetable Fried Rice
¾ cup jasmine rice
8 ounces asparagus
⅛ ounce ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1½ tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
⅓ cup shredded red cabbage
⅓ cup shredded carrots
½ teaspoon shichimi togarashi
1. In a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water, and ¼ teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once, reduce heat to medium low, cover pot, and simmer until water is fully absorbed, 10–12 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand, still covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, then set aside uncovered to release steam, making it easier to fry in Step 5.
2. While rice cooks, rinse all produce. Trim and discard woody bottoms of asparagus, then cut crosswise on a diagonal into ½-inch pieces. Trim and discard scallion roots and thinly slice crosswise on a diagonal, keeping whites and light greens separate from dark greens. Trim and discard skin of ginger and mince. Mince garlic.
3. Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. If you prefer to fry the eggs closer to serving and don’t mind an extra dish, you can cook them in a separate nonstick pan while the rice finishes cooking in Step 5. You can also fry the eggs in the pan from the fried rice after transferring to serving plates. When oil is shimmering, crack 2 eggs into pan and season with salt and pepper. Fry until whites start to set, 2 minutes. Cover pan and continue frying until whites are mostly set but yolks are still runny, 2 minutes more. Transfer eggs to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve, leaving oil behind in pan for the next step.
4. Sauté aromatics and asparagus Return pan from eggs to medium-high heat with 2 teaspoons canola oil. When oil is shimmering, add ginger, garlic, and scallion whites and light greens. Sauté, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add asparagus and sauté, stirring, until tender, 3–4 minutes more.
5. Finish vegetable fried rice To pan with asparagus, still over medium-high heat, add soy sauce (use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut packets open together) and cooked rice, stirring to coat. Press rice down into a single layer and cook, without moving, until golden on bottom, 3–4 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in slaw mix and half of scallion dark greens to combine. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
6. Plate vegetable fried rice Divide spring vegetable fried rice between serving plates. Top with fried egg. Garnish with shichimi togarashi (it’s spicy, so feel free to use less) and remaining scallion dark greens.
Love experimenting in the kitchen? Try Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!