Welcome to Chop Shop, your go-to video source for all the tips and tricks you’ll ever need, straight from the Plated Test Kitchen.
Learn how to make this traditional French sauce right at home—no trip to Paris necessary.
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons white wine
8 ounces milk
2 ounces grated Parmesan
1. Place half of butter in a small bowl and set aside to soften at room temperature.
2. Mince garlic.
3. Add flour to bowl with softened butter and knead with your fingers to form a smooth paste.
4. Add remaining butter to a medium pan over medium heat.
5. When butter is foamy, add garlic and sauté, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds.
6. Add white wine to pan and cook, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan, until liquid is reduced by half, about 1 minute more.
7. Increase heat under pan with garlic to medium high, then add milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper as desired.
8. Bring to a boil, then whisk in butter and flour mixture until dissolved, 30 seconds.
9. Reduce heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes more.
10. Remove pan from heat and whisk in Parmesan. Set aside.
11. Pour over your favorite pasta or use as a base for sauce and enjoy!