In the Plated Test Kitchen, we’re on a constant quest for burger perfection and this diner to dinner table rendition will have you never craving fast food again.
12 oz. ground beef
2 potato buns
4 slices yellow cheddar cheese
Toppings: Boston Lettuce, Sliced tomato, sliced dill pickles
2 packets of mayo
1 packet Dijon mustard
1 packet of ketchup
Finely chopped pickle slices
(In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, and chopped pickles until fully combined. Slather on smashed burger buns at the end to enjoy.)
1. Slice buns open horizontally if they arrived whole, and place cut-side down in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Toast until golden, 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer to serving plates, reserving pan for making burgers.
3. Using your hands, divide beef and form into 4 equal balls, then place on a plate.
4. Return pan from buns to medium-high heat. Carefully hover your hand a few inches from the pan—when you can easily feel the heat, add beef balls, spacing apart.
5. Sear for 30 seconds. Using a spatula, smash down to flatten. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, 2 minutes, then flip. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
6. Top with cheese slices. Cover pan. Cook until crisp, 1-2 minutes more.
7. Stack 2 patties atop each bun bottom, then top with sliced tomato, lettuce, reserved pickles, and special sauce. Finish with bun tops. Dig in!
Take your cooking skills to the next level—order Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!