Comforting, rich, and hearty, chicken Marsala is an Italian-American favorite we just had to bring back. In this repeat recipe, the chicken is pan-roasted, slathered in a rich, creamy mushroom pan sauce, and paired with a side of crispy fingerling potatoes laced with mustard and rosemary. This classic dish makes weeknight chicken feel like a weekend treat.
9 ounces cremini mushrooms
8 ounces fingerling potatoes
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
8 ounces chicken stock
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/8 ounce rosemary
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 ounce parsley
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and cut into ¼-inch slices. Rinse remaining produce. Halve potatoes lengthwise. Finely chop parsley leaves, discarding stems. Strip rosemary leaves, discarding stems, then mince. Halve lemon. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Place between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or heavy pan, pound to ¼-inch thickness.
2. Heat butter in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When butter is foamy, add mushrooms. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Sauté, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and beginning to crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and set aside for Step 5. Wipe pan clean and reserve, off heat, for Step 4.
3. While mushrooms sauté, on a baking sheet, toss potatoes with mustard, rosemary, 1½ tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper as desired to combine. Arrange potatoes cut-side down in a single layer (the contact with the hot baking sheet helps ensure the potatoes turn crisp) and roast until golden and tender, 18-20 minutes.
4. While potatoes roast, place flour on a large plate. Season chicken all over with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper as desired. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Return pan from mushrooms to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add chicken and sear until cooked through and no longer pink, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest.
5. Return mushrooms to pan and increase heat to high. Stir in Marsala wine and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium high. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream, juice of 1 lemon, and half of parsley; cook, stirring, to thicken, 1 minute. Return chicken to pan with sauce to warm through, 3-4 minutes more.
6. Plate chicken, spooning over Marsala sauce from pan. Serve with roasted fingerling potatoes and garnish with remaining parsley. Dig in!
Take your cooking skills to the next level—order Plated!Get 25% off your first four weeks of Plated!